Thursday, April 25, 2013

Barb Retenbach

write a blog entry about the presentation. There are no questions that you should answer but some prompts to help you:
a. How did this presentation change your view of those with Autism?
b. How will you consider autistic children in your classroom in light of this presentation?
c. How does the information you’ve learned affect your future teaching practice?
d. Was this information new, and how do you feel about it

I was really curious as to see what the presentation would be like. I have never been to a presentation like this one before. I thought it was incredible. Before this presentation I really didn't know a whole lot about Autistic individuals. Growing up one of my best friends cousins was autistic and all I remember from that was that she was a really great artist and did not talk much. Other than that I have only studied Autism in my Special Ed class briefly this semester. Barb and Lois opened my eyes to so much. Autistic individuals are brilliant, or at least Barb is and they are capable of so much more than what I had believed to be true. She has so many great ideas and such a wonderful sense of humor. I think a lot of people tend to assume Autistic individuals do not have much going on in their minds or are trapped in their bodies. This is not the case at all. Barb talked about how she is happy and enjoys her life and loves history and thinking. I will consider autistic children the same way I consider those who are not autistic. An individual with likes and dislikes, and knowledge. Just a different way of interacting and conversing. I learned that autistic students sometimes tend to relate to objects more than words. In my classroom if this is the case I will be sure to allow students to keep an object at their desk, or near them that comforts them. Also, I will be sure to find out something they are genuinely interested in and use that as a tool of discussion and learning. I think in my future teaching practice I will be more aware, and will embrace the diverse neurology in my classroom. All students are brilliant in different ways and different aspects. I won't have low expectations for any student. So much information from the presentation was new to me. I really feel like I see things from an entirely new perspective. One that I will carry with me into classroom settings and the outside world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment